Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Alien Step by Step Makeup


   Most of my makeup looks usually come from some random thought or crazy idea. The alien idea came about from me wanting to do a makeup that had huge eyes and interesting textured skin.   


I scoured the Internet in search of reference material, inspiration, and just to basically see what's "already been done". I found so many amazing inspirational images. I've done recreations of other artists makeup looks before and this time I wanted to do something I created. I started to look at artwork tinstead of makeup looks to pull inspiration from when I found Chris Sulzbach. He's an incredibly talented artist!  I've put his links under the picture below. I fell in love with his alien character. I knew I wanted to do the makeup loosely based off of his aliens shape and features.






Chris Sulzbach 
Twitter account 
Website 




Here's a few different angles. This was my fist time ever attempting an illusion makeup that hid my features like this. I wont lie trying to blend/hide my nose, mouth, and chin proved to be extremely challenging. I still have a long way to go and a lot of skills to improve, but I am very proud of this makeup. I had so much fun with it, I love a good challenge!


  Once I figured out the hard stuff (how to lay everything out and hide my features) the rest was very organic, building from one idea to another. You can see the aliens evolution in the above picture. I'm constantly changing my mind and adding to the original idea as I go.  For instance, I wanted to tone down the dark blue skin and make it more dimensional before I added texture to it. I did that by sponging white paint on all the areas I wanted to lighten. I applied purple makeup ontop of the white paint. I added white highlights to the purple, then covered the white with dark pink. I continued on like that creating a color fade. I got to the point where I could lay the white highlights down without having to cover them.  The blend came out a lot better then I expected and I found myself not wanting to cover it with the illusion of texture I had in my mind. I looked in the mirror trying to decide what to do and realized that the aliens skin was very galaxy like. Especially, the forehead area. Which totally worked for me! So I left the skin the way it was. Even though in my mind I had something completely different planned out for the skin texture. I learned a long time ago not to fight the creative process and that a plan is usually just loose guide lines. If something amazing happens just go with it, don't fight it. Words I totally live by!

 

  Big announcement! In an effort to better my skills as an artist, I'm going to be posting a new makeup look once a week. I can't wait to see how much my skills are going to grow and evolve! Please join me on my journey to better myself.... 





 I post all the new looks on Instagram the day they are created. Then I write a blog entry talking about the inspiration, details, and more photos of the look. the blog entrys usually come out a few days after the look is created. So If you would like to be the first to see the new looks follow me on Instagram.

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool! Thanks for the kind words and the makeup looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sulzbunny!!So glad you found me and enjoy my work! I fell in love with your work and just had to recreate it!♥♥

      Delete